Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Brand Loyalty

Are you loyal to specific brands when baking? For the most part I am flexible to whatever is cheapest, except for butter, chocolate, and vanilla extract.

For butter I have ALWAYS used Land O Lakes butter. However, since the Hershey's Chocolate Chips that I use have jumped up 70 cents in the last four months I thought that I should try using store brand butter to try and even out the cost. That way I am not having to jump the price up on customers or loose profit myself.

As an experiment I made my oh so yummy chocolate chip cookies with the store brand butter and gave some to Joe not telling him anything was different... just asking him to critique like I always do. After ONE bite he immediately asked what I did different. Before telling him I asked him if the tasted better or worse. He replies that they didn't taste bad per say but one bite in he knew something was different and he didn't care for the new "whatever".

So.... long story short I am sticking with my LOL butter and I am going to have to find something else to "cut costs"

2 comments:

  1. Have you considered using a store brand of chocolate chips? I recently tried the Kroger brand and was very pleasantly surprised.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you on the chocolate. I like Hershey's and store brand just doesn't cut it. Nestle isn't horrible... but I think it's even more expensive. I'm the same with cocoa. :) However, I have used Walmart & Kroger brand butter... and was surprised at how well it did!

    ReplyDelete